Drinkaware is an independent, UK-wide charity, they are supported by voluntary donations from across the drinks industry to equip people with the knowledge needed to make decisions about how much they drink.
Drinkaware work with the drinks companies and retailers to help tackle alcohol misuse. They also work with organisations and individuals across the UK to fulfil the educational, community and awareness campaigning function envisaged in the Government’s Alcohol Harm Reduction Strategy. They do this by providing accessible, evidence-based information about alcohol and its effects to employers, young people, teachers, parents and community workers. Using a range of mediums, such as film, multimedia and TV, they help dispel myths and present the honest facts about alcohol.
Their Trustees meet regularly to discuss their strategic objectives and to monitor their programmes of work. Their core outputs include:
Tactical campaigns, taking their messages to key audiences
- Development of education and information resources
- Drinkaware Grants providing project aid for local and national initiatives
- Research into consumer understanding and attitudes to alcohol
Creating awareness of
- Why and how to drink safely and responsibly
- The impact of alcohol misuse on society and on the health and well being of individuals, their families and communities.
Improving attitudes to
- Increasing the motivation for and personal responsibility to drink safely and appropriately
- The unacceptability of binge drinking and drink related disorder
- Effecting positive changes in behaviour related to alcohol consumption